Immunity & Prevention
Disease prevention and restricting the advancement of disease are fundamental principles to naturopathic medicine. Naturopathic physicians work with patients to identify the root causes of illness and to address all the factors that are affecting a patient’s health.
The immune system is the body’s natural defense mechanism against illness and disease. It is highly complex and important to our well-being. A strong and balanced immune system is vital for health maintenance.
When your immune system is weakened you are vulnerable to infections and diseases. Certain bacteria and virus can also increase the risk for some types of cancer.
If the immune system becomes over reactive it creates inflammatory conditions such as allergies, asthma, eczema, psoriasis, and sinusitis. In severe cases the immune system attacks healthy tissues in the body. This causes autoimmune diseases such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, AIDS, and many other serious and life-threatening conditions.
The primary goals in natural health care are to prevent disease, maintain good health, and promote wellness and quality of life. Disease prevention is accomplished by encouraging habits that support health and life extension.
Our treatments help strengthen and restore an immune system weakness or imbalance, keeping your body healthy and much better prepared to fight off any illness you may encounter.
The immune system can be weakened by:
- Medical treatment or drugs for certain diseases
- Genetic factors
- Emotional stress
- Inadequate sleep
- Athletic over-training
- Environmental chemical exposure
- UV and other types of radiation
- Common viral or bacterial infections
- Bad dietary habits. Excessive fat, alcohol or refined sugar consumption or inadequate protein, calorie, vitamin, mineral or water intake
Natural ways to strengthen your immune system:
- Get plenty of sleep and rest. The body rejuvenates and strengthens when it is at rest. We require at least 7 hours restful sleep per night
- Worry less and learn to de-stress. Studies prove that stress and depression effect the body physically and weaken the immune system
- Eat a well-balanced diet and don't skip meals
- Supplement adequately. Ask your practitioner what vitamins and minerals you need. Always take an organic, whole-food multivitamin
- Exercise regularly. Exercise makes our body stronger, increases circulation of blood and nutrients, and helps flush the body of toxins
- Drink plenty of water, this helps flush the body of toxins and keeps you well hydrated
- Eat foods with high antioxidant levels. Antioxidants are vitamins in your diet that can reduce your risk of cancer and other diseases, and they give your immune system a boost